Department of Nursing
The Department of Nursing and Allied Health's mission is consistent with the Mission of the University. Strengthened by the rich heritage of the Catholic Intellectual Tradition, the mission of the Department of Nursing and Allied Health is to prepare professionally educated nurse leaders who are capable of excelling and advancing the profession of nursing through evidence-based practice, education, research and service.
The Department of Nursing and Allied Health will excel as an educational community of facultyand students who are influenced by the teaching, scholarship and service founded upon the Catholic Intellectual Tradition. The Department will be known for its servant leadership to a diverse student body and for continuing the integration of mind and heart in the Marianite tradition; it is envisioned as an academic center of excellence centered on faith appreciating that every student has infinite worth.
Within the framework of the philosophy of the University of Holy Cross, the Department of Nursing and Allied Health faculty has developed a statement of beliefs. The educational mission of the Marianites of Holy Cross is one of commitment to fostering and maintaining an atmosphere conducive to academic challenge, professional preparation, attainment of marketable skills, and personal enrichment. The faculty's statement of philosophy of person, society, health and nursing, teaching, and learning reflects the educational mission of the Marianites.
Both the Marianite values of presence, compassion and service and the University's values of truth, goodness, and beauty permeate through the Department. The Department implements its mission guided by four additional dynamic values of justice, respect, excellence and stewardship which are beliefs that focus the work within the Department and the University. All of the values provide direction and purpose to the Department's operations.
Our Shared Values
This graphic illustrates the shared values between the Marianites, the University and the Department of Nursing demonstrating congruence, both philosophically and programmatically.
Nursing Department Values
- Includes the concept of moral rightness and advocacy based on ethics, fairness, integrity, equity and inclusion
- Respects the diversity of all persons for their inherent worth and uniqueness
- Embraces the truth
- Recognizes social justice and human dignity
- Advocates for the needs of others
- Reverences for the dignity of each person and the cultural diversity of the community
- Demonstrates an unconditional acceptance/inclusion
- Realizes that all have infinite worth and beauty
- Respects self and others
- Acknowledges the value and dignity of all
- Exemplifies good interpersonal/interprofessional relationships
- Promotes compassion, concern, kindness, interest for all
- Provides holistic care
- Reflects a commitment to professional growth and to the advancement of one's education and practice
- Strives for quality improvement and for collaboration/teamwork
- Embraces change
- Explores challenges and opportunities
- Encourages leadership, scholarship
- Promotes critical thinking and evidenced based practice
- Leads to innovative teaching/learning
- Exemplifies highest level of achievement; optimal health care
- Uses one's gifts to serve and care for others
- Commits to accountability and responsibility
- Builds on a foundation of Gospel values
- Strives to be a good steward which includes taking risks at times
- Provides careful and responsible management of all entrusted to one's care