Resources for First Generation College Students
The First in the Family website is brought to you by What Kids Can Do with the generous support of the Lumina Foundation for Education. Watch videos and get practical advice from students who were the first in their families to attend college. Other Resources
- Number2.com - This site offers free online prep courses for the SAT or ACT.
- First Generation College Students: Tips for a Successful Freshman Year
- Inroads - The mission of Inroads is to develop and place talented minority youth in business and industry and prepare them for corporate and community leadership
Scholarship Funds: There are many organizations dedicated to helping students pay for school. Some well known examples are:
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund, or call 1-877-HSF-INFO (1-877-473-4636)
- American Indian College Fund or call 1-800-776-3863
- United Negro College Fund or call 1-800-331-2244
- The Gates Millennium Scholarship Program
- Coca-Cola Foundation First Generation Scholarship Program
- The Ron Brown Scholarship Program
- Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Program
- Burger King Scholars Program
- Financial Aid for Native American Students
- Ventures Scholarship Program -The Ventures Scholars Program is a national membership program designed to help underrepresented and first-generation college-bound students interested in pursuing math- and science-based careers link to information, resources, and opportunities that will help them successfully pursue their career goals.