Fire Equipment Policy
Fire equipment is placed in the building for all the community members’ protection and the protection of property in the event of a fire or emergency. Anyone who causes damage to the equipment or who renders it unusable or ineffective is endangering the safety of all personnel. If any member of the community is involved with the misuse or tampering of any fire safety equipment, tampering with smoke detectors or fire alarm bells, including setting off false fire alarms, the person will be subject to penalties described by State and Federal laws as well as University of Holy Cross judicial action.
Use fire equipment only if there is a smell of fire. Do not use a fire extinguisher on a fire that is already out of control. If you believe that a fire extinguisher will work, follow these rules:
- Do not attempt to extinguish the fire by yourself until the fire alarm has been triggered.
- Pull the pin at the top of the handle.
- Aim the hose at the base of the fire.
- Activate the fire extinguisher and sweep the base of the fire.
- The fire department and the police should be notified by call 911 as soon as possible.
- If you’re able to put out the fire, proceed to notify the fire and police departments.
- If you observe a fire extinguisher missing or needing service contact a member of security immediately.