The Thomas E. Chambers Counseling and Training Center
The Thomas E. Chambers Counseling and Training Center located on the University of Holy Cross campus is a unique facility. Providing not only counseling services for the UHC Family and the community at large, it also serves as an educational resource for students pursuing both master's and undergraduate degrees in counseling.
The Center provides a variety of counseling services to a wide range of individuals. UHC students, faculty and staff receive counseling services at no cost.
- Career counseling
- Marriage and family counseling
- Individual counseling
- Child and adolescent counseling
- Parent education
The Counseling and Training Center also boasts a state-of-the-art Play Therapy room built specifically to cater to the needs of young children.
The fee for a 50-minute session is $15.00. Special consideration is given to those who are unable to pay this fee.
The Center is open Monday through Thursday, 11:00am to 8:00pm
Call the Counseling and Training Center at 504-398-2168 to schedule an appointment. Appointments are scheduled on the hour. The Center is located on campus at the University of Holy Cross, 4123 Woodland Drive, New Orleans, LA. It can be accessed from the interior of the college, or through a separate entrance to the Center facing Woodland Drive to the right of the columns.
Joan M. Fischer LPC, LMFT, NCC serves as the Clinical Director of the Thomas E. Chambers Counseling and Training Center. Counselors are students working on the clinical component of their Master's degree in Counseling and post Master interns working to be Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC) or Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists (LMFT). LPC board approved supervisors supervise the students.
The mission of the Counseling and Training Center is four fold:
- To provide students, faculty, and staff of UHC quality counseling services at no cost
- To meet local societal needs through the provision of a counseling center as a community resource
- To insure that UHC graduate students in the counseling program have optimum opportunities for on the job training in addressing the concerns of a clinically and culturally diverse population
- To provide counseling services to individuals and families with limited economic resources