POLICY FOR INCLUSION OF COMPUTER COST IN A STUDENT'S COST OF ATTENDANCE
The Higher Education Amendments of 1998 included a provision that allows an institution, on a case-by-case basis, to include in a student's cost of attendance (COA) the documented cost of a personal computer. Allowing inclusion of the cost is not based on any particular program of study or program requirement. The following policies and procedures will be in effect for all undergraduate and graduate students enrolled at the University of Holy Cross.
- The maximum allowance for purchase of a computer is $2,500, which can include the cost of a printer.
- Requests for inclusion of costs for maintenance and/or repair of a computer will not be considered. However, the cost of a maintenance contract or extended warranty, purchased along with the computer, can be included.
- The cost of software, printer cartridges, paper, monthly online service fees, etc., will be assumed to be covered by the books and supplies and miscellaneous allowances already included in the student's COA.
- Expenses for cost of leasing a computer (as an option to purchasing) can be considered. The monthly lease amount for each academic year will be considered, up to a career maximum of $2,500.
- In order to have the cost of purchase of a computer added to the COA, the student must provide a written request to the Office of Financial Aid, with a dated receipt/proof of purchase or invoice attached. Receipts or invoices must indicate that the student (or the student's parents, if a dependent student) purchased the computer.
- The purchase must have occurred no earlier than 90 days prior to the date of the request.
- Inclusion of the cost of a computer (or an upgrade) will be allowed only once per program of study (once for undergraduate studies, once for graduate studies).
- Scholarship funds are not available to cover the cost of a computer. Students may apply for federal or alternative educational loan funds. Students should consult with a Financial Aid Counselor to find out about loan eligibility.
- Requests must be submitted no later than March 1st of the academic year.