University of Holy Cross

UHC COVID-19 Updates: January 05, 2023 | Click for CDC Guidelines.

This is the University of Holy Cross Logo

International Student Committee

International Student Scholarships are Available!

Please contact Darryl L. Holliday, PhD, CRC at University of Holy Cross to learn more:

504-394-7744 Main Ext.112

International Student Admissions

The University of Holy Cross welcomes qualified students from other countries. We recognize that intercultural exchange plays an important part in the education process and that international students will contribute to the value of university life at the University of Holy Cross.

Application for Admission

The student must complete both sides of the application form and return it to the Office of Admissions, University of Holy Cross or apply online Click Here.

Copies of Academic Record

International students are required to have their official transcripts translated and evaluated on a line-by-line basis by American Education Research Corporation, Inc., American Association of College Registrars and Admission Officers International Education Services, Education Records Evaluation Service, World Education Services International Academic Credential Evaluation, or Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc. Original records and translation/evaluation must be submitted to the Office of Admissions.

If the student received his secondary education in the United States, he/she should write to the principal of the U.S. school and request that a certified copy of his high school transcript be sent to the Office of Admissions, University of Holy Cross.

A student who has already been enrolled in a university or other institution of higher learning in the U.S. or abroad should request the institution to send an official transcript of his/her records to the Office of Admissions, University of Holy Cross.

Application fee-None

Requirement of English Language Proficiency

The University of Holy Cross does not have a program of English as a Foreign Language, thus it cannot accept foreign students unless their proficiency in English is of a satisfactory level. The student must establish to the satisfaction of the Office of Admissions that he/she can read, speak, and write English well enough to follow a college-level course. The normal procedure to do this is to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Information concerning TOEFL tests, including dates and places of testing can be obtained at American Embassies and Consulates and Offices of the International Communications Agency abroad. Scores of the TOEFL tests are sent by the testing authority directly to the Office of Admissions, University of Holy Cross.

Unless the student has taken the TOEFL test, it is difficult to establish his/her English language proficiency by mail; however, it may be possible in some cases. If the student has attended an American school, in the U.S. or abroad, where the language of instruction was English, he/she may be able to establish his knowledge of English by sending a transcript with a letter from an official of the school relating specifically to his/her English proficiency.

Proof of English proficiency

1. An official score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of at least 550 or iBT score of at least 79 is required for admission.
2. The TOEFL code for University of Holy Cross is 6002

Evidence of Financial Resources

In order for the student to obtain his U.S. student visa, the university must certify to the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service that the student has sufficient financial resources to cover his/her tuition and other expenses during his/her enrollment at the University of Holy Cross. Therefore, the student applicant must submit with his application, a statement of his financial resources, together with suitable evidence to support his statements. Supporting evidence may include, but is not limited to, the following: letters from banks, copies of deposit books and bank statements, statements from employers, letters and statement from stockbrokers. The statements in the letters should be as specific as possible, showing exact amounts wherever practicable. This is important because on the Form I-20, the University of Holy Cross official must state what evidence has been presented and show dollar amounts.

If the student's expenses will be paid by a parent or relative, whether living abroad or in the United States, the students should submit with his/her application a letter from the relative agreeing to pay the student's expenses. In this case, the financial evidence (bank statements and the like) should relate to the parent or relative rather than to the student.

If the student is coming to the U.S. under a scholarship or grant from his/her government or some institution, a letter from the appropriate government or agency official will normally suffice.

Issuance of Form I-20

When all the above information has been received and found satisfactory, the Office of Admissions will send to the student a letter of admission and Form I-20. The student may then take the I-20 to the American Consulate Office and request a student visa.

Additional Notes Concerning Evidence

It is not possible to inform the student-applicant ahead of time what all evidence will be required in order to establish that he/she has sufficient financial resources to pursue his/her course of study in the United States. It is the student's responsibility to send evidence that will establish that this requirement is met. Under no circumstances should the applicant send anything of value, whether negotiable or non-negotiable. If stocks and/or bonds are the basis of the applicant's financial status, it is suggested that the applicant send a letter from a bank or from a stockbroker attesting to the existence of these instruments.

Copies of academic records submitted by the applicant will not be returned.

International Student Scholarship

The University of Holy Cross offers cultural scholarship to international students in F-1 student status that meet and maintain eligibility requirements. Scholarship is offer with GPA, TOEFL/IELTS, SAT scores.

Student Housing

All first year student must stay in student housing.

Health insurance

Health Insurance is mandatory for all international students and can be purchased from or other acceptable agency.


This is a Facebook button This is a Twitter button This is a Instagram button This is a Instagram button

4123 Woodland Drive, New Orleans, LA 70131 (504) 394-7744 or 1-800-259-7744

A Ministry of the Marianites of Holy Cross: Educating Hearts and Minds

***Register for voice, email, and text messaging ***