Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

The University of Holy Cross provides services for Veterans within our Office of Veteran's Services. A team, which includes the UHC Registrar, Director of Financial Aid, and Student Affairs, has been trained to assist you in accessing your benefits.

These benefits may include: assisting you in applying for your G.I. Bill benefits, certifying your enrollment to the Veteran's Administration for payment each semester, and resolving any issues with payment. The information below highlights some of the benefits provided by the University of Holy Cross, but may not be all inclusive of all veteran's educational benefits programs. For more information or a complete list, contact the Department of Veteran's Affairs at or 1-888-442-4551.

The University of Holy Cross is bound to follow a code of ethics as related to the recruitment of all students, including Service members and their dependents.  

Specifically, The University at Holy Cross will ensure compliance with program integrity requirements consistent with the regulations issued by ED (34 C.F.R 668.71-668.75 and 668.14) related to restrictions on misrepresentation, recruitment, and payment of incentive compensation.

This applies to the educational institution itself and its agents including third party lead generators, marketing firms, or companies that own or operate the educational institutions.

As part of efforts to eliminate unfair, deceptive, and abusive marketing aimed at Service members The University of Holy Cross will:

  1. Ban incentives, including any gratuity, favor, discount, entertainment, hospitality, loan, transportation, lodging, meals, or other item having a monetary value of more than a de minimis amount, to any individual or entity, or its agents including third party lead generators or marketing firms other than salaries paid to employees or fees paid to contractors in conformity with all applicable laws for the purpose of securing enrollments of Service members or obtaining access to TA funds. Educational institution sponsored scholarships or grants and tuition reductions available to military students are permissible, and;
  2. Refrain from providing any commission, bonus, or other incentive payment based directly or indirectly on securing enrollments or federal financial aid (including TA funds) to any persons or entities engaged in any student recruiting, admission activities, or making decisions regarding the award of student financial assistance, and;
  3. Refrain from high-pressure recruitment tactics such as making multiple unsolicited contacts (3 or more), including contacts by phone, email, or in-person, and engaging in same-day recruitment and registration for the purpose of securing Service members enrollments.

Admission to the University

All applicants must complete an application to the University of Holy Cross. Please note that some degree programs, including the Master's degree programs, require an additional application and/or application materials.

Credit for Prior Training and Experience

If you receive Veterans educational assistance, you are required by law (38 U.S.C., 1775 and 1776) to provide official transcripts of prior education, training and experience at the time you enroll. An evaluation of your prior education and training will be conducted. This evaluation will establish if any of your education, training or experiences will be applied to your degree program and shorten your time at UHC. The evaluation will include all materials submitted, including those received while on active duty even if they were not covered by DVA. Approved credit will appear on your official transcript.

Veteran's Education Benefits Program

VA education benefits may be authorized for veterans and qualified dependents under the specific chapters of Title 38, U.S. code (USC). Each VA education program has distinct eligibility requirements. The staff at UHC cannot determine your eligibility for any of these programs. In order to apply for any VA benefit you can obtain an application at On the back of the application you will find the various VA chapters and the general eligibility requirements for each. Specific questions regarding the application or eligibility should be directed to 1-888-442-4551.

Approved programs

The DVA will pay an eligible student education benefits for an approved program of education or training. An approved program is a course of study which the appropriate state approving agency has determined meets the legal requirements for payment of DVA educational assistance.

The DVA requires all veteran students to declare a major by the end of their sophomore year. VA students must be classified as degree-seeking students no later than their second semester of enrollment. You are allowed to change your major at any time during your degree program. If you are receiving benefits under Chapters 30, 32, or 1606, complete VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training. If you receive benefits under Chapters 35 or 31, additional forms might be necessary for a change of major. Each time you change your major a re-evaluation of credits will be conducted. UHC is required to report any changes in program to the DVA including a report on the applicability of hours.

Change in Student Status

It is the responsibility of the student to notify your VA coordinator if you reduce the number of credit hours in which you are enrolled. This includes if you withdraw from a course, terminate enrollment, or make any other changes that impact your payment status. Failure to notify your VA coordinator of the changes in enrollment may result in an overpayment of your benefits. If this occurs the DVA will collect all overpayments from the student.

Change of Address

The student must notify UHC and your VA coordinator of any change of address.

Repeating subjects

The DVA will not pay for a student to repeat a course if you have received a passing grade for the course previously. The DVA will pay for a course to be repeated if: you receive a grade of an "F" in the course and it is required for graduation or if you receive a "D" in a course for which a minimum grade of "C" is required.

Non-Required Subjects

VA education benefits are not paid for courses which are not required for graduation.

Students called to active duty 

If you are called to active duty (National Guard, Reservist, Discharged Veteran), please contact the Registrar's Office at UHC immediately. You will need to provide a copy of your orders.


The University of Holy Cross is in full compliance regarding readmission of a Service person returning from active duty and abides by the Federal Student Aid Handbook

New Veteran Student Checklist
  • Submit an application for admission
  • Apply for financial aid
  • Submit transcripts of all previous education, training or experience
  • Submit immunization records
  • Declare a major
  • Register for classes
  • Submit an application for education benefits to the Registrar's office

Questions? Contact Us!

Office of Admissions
(504) 398-2175
text (504) 398-2175