Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

To be eligible for student financial aid, students must meet minimum federal, state, and University of Holy Cross Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy standards. The Office of Financial Aid has established the guidelines, based on Federal regulations, for evaluating student progress taking into consideration:

  1. Cumulative UHC GPA (a qualitative standard)
  2. The cumulative number of hours attempted and completed (a quantitative standard) at UHC, and the hours that have successfully transferred to UHC from any other postsecondary institution.
  3. In addition, the SAP Standards evaluate the student’s quantitative progress towards completing his/her degree within the maximum time limit allowed to complete a program of study.

Minimum GPA and Credits SAP Standards

Undergraduate students must successfully complete a minimum of 67% of cumulative attempted hours AND maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 UHC GPA.

Graduate students must successfully complete a minimum of 67% of cumulative attempted hours AND maintain a minimum cumulative 3.0 UHC GPA.

Academic progress is reviewed at the end of each semester (defined as summer, fall, or spring). Classes graded "Failure(F)", "Failure Non-attendance(FN)", "Incomplete(I)", "No Credit", or "Withdraw (W)" will be evaluated as courses attempted, although not successfully completed. Attempted hours include all UHC hours in which a student is enrolled after the last day of the University’s drop/add period, as well as all hours transferred from any other postsecondary institution.

Repeated courses will count toward academic progress; one of the repeated courses will count as an attempted course not successfully completed. Any course that is academically forgiven is still counted as attempted UHC credits.

Maximum Time Limit Requirement

For students enrolled in Undergraduate programs, the Maximum Time Limit to complete the program AND receive federal aid is a period no longer than 150 percent of the published length of the program.

Example: For a Bachelor’s degree program that requires the successful completion of 120 credit hours, the maximum credits allowed equate to 180 credit hours. (120 x 150% = 180)

Students in a Graduate or Doctoral program must complete their degree program within the maximum time frame published by their academic program.

Students Earning a Second Bachelors Degree:
The maximum time limit to complete a degree program is established based on the student’s unique academic program. Students who have earned a prior bachelor’s degree and whose prior credits have carried over to a new program at UHC will have their maximum time frame reset to reflect only the courses which will apply to the new degree program.

Students Not Meeting SAP

Failure to satisfy these requirements will result in a Financial Aid Warning. A Financial Aid Warning shall consist of one additional semester of eligibility subsequent to the period in which a student failed to meet the conditions for Satisfactory Academic Progress. Once the Financial Aid Warning period has expired, if a student is still failing to make Satisfactory Academic Progress, that student will lose financial aid eligibility.

A student who has lost financial aid eligibility may appeal the decision to the Office of Financial Aid. Any appeal must be based on extenuating circumstances and contain written documentation verifying those circumstances. All appeals are granted at the discretion of the Office of Financial Aid. If an appeal is granted, a student will have one semester of Financial Aid Probation. If at the end of the probation period a student has met Satisfactory Academic Progress, that student’s full eligibility will be restored. If at the end of the probation period a student has not met Satisfactory Academic progress, the student’s eligibility will be permanently revoked unless the student can demonstrate the meeting the specific degree completion plan and standards as established by the Appeals Committee. Only one appeal is allowed during a student’s degree program.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal Form

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal - Letter of Appeal

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal - Degree Completion Plan

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal - Degree Completion Plan (Appeal Continuation)

Questions? Contact Us!

Office of Financial Aid
(504) 398-2133