Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

The Federal Work Study Program (FWS) is a federally funded financial aid program that enables a student to work part-time while attending school at UHC. The federal government pays for a portion of your earnings and the University pays the remaining portion.

  • Earn part of your college costs rather than increase your loans.
  • Decline and reduce the loan amounts offered to you.

Community Service Work Study is also an available option for students at UHC. Community Service Work Study is a federally-funded program that allows students to earn their work study award while serving the community in areas such as: education, recreation, child care, health care, public safety, social services, crime prevention, emergency preparedness and response, and tutoring and mentoring. 

Steps to apply for Work Study at UHC

Step 1: Complete the Work Study Application to determine your eligibility for a Work Study position. 

Work Study Application

Step 2: Look for available job listings.

Check back later for Work Study job openings!

Step 3: Accept your Work Study award.

Step 4: Begin working! You will be notified of your start date after Work Study is awarded.

All students who apply for financial aid are reviewed for eligibility. Students must have financial need, which is determined by the information that is submitted on the required Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students are notified of their financial aid awards, and work-study eligibility through the Office of Financial Aid via an award letter.

Federal Work Study is not a lump sum grant. Students are eligible to earn up to the dollar amount listed on the Financial Aid Award Letter, over the course of the Academic Year. Work Study earnings are not credited to student tuition and fee bill, and are instead issued to the student in a bi-weekly pay check. These earnings can be used however the student chooses.

Presence of a FWS amount on the award letter does not guarantee employment. Conversely, students whose award letters do not include a FWS amount, may still be eligible to participate in the Federal Work-Study program, and should contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine eligibility.

Students interested in obtaining employment must submit an application to the Office of Financial Aid. Applications will be submitted to departments requesting student workers. Supervisors from participating departments will contact students for interviews, and hiring.

Have a question about Federal Work Study or Community Service Work Study at UHC? Please contact the Office of Financial Aid at or (504) 398-2133.

Questions? Contact Us!

Office of Financial Aid
(504) 398-2133